Discussion forum

How do eDeans / Network Supervisors Control Internet Usage?

Your teacher about to release a recent trophy
How do eDeans / Network Supervisors Control Internet Usage?
by Adrian Bell - Wednesday, 15 February 2012, 12:13 PM

I would be grateful to hear about what kinds of controls are imposed upon Internet usage by eStudents in other schools. We have a system here where students are given five dollars worth of Internet usage - per term, I think it is. If they want more they need to pay for it. Our eStudents are allowed more usage without charge, but they or I have to request that usage from the network supervisor.

Picture of Penny Mossman
Re: How do eDeans / Network Supervisors Control Internet Usage?
by Penny Mossman - Thursday, 16 February 2012, 9:19 AM

We do not charge any of our students an internet usage fee. However when I talked to the IT man his comment was  - 'yet'. At this point it is not something we are considering.

Picture of Jane Donald
by Jane Donald - Thursday, 16 February 2012, 10:27 AM

All of our Y7-10 students have $5 loaded onto their accounts for printing. Seniors have $10.  They can purchase more themselves if they need.  We feel this is sufficient for all printing needs - VC students included.  We have seen a drop in careless printing since this was introduced as students are far more conscious of cost.

Internet use is an important learning tool and we do not charge students for this per se.

Anne
by anne williams - Friday, 17 February 2012, 11:47 AM

None of our students are charged for internet usage and they all have $5 loaded onto accounts for photocopying- they can pay for more if they want it. I tend to do big runs of photocopying for the VC students and fund that from the VC budget. But I have also set up a shared resource area in the library for VC students with photocopy sets, text books etc. Cheers Adrian!