Discussion forum

Discussion Question One: Your first VC

me
Discussion Question One: Your first VC
by Darren Sudlow - Thursday, 3 May 2012, 7:47 PM

While trundling through the CantaNet website come blog a found one of my first posts in the job back in 2008.  It was about my first video conference.

http://cantanet.org/2008/02/12/my-first-video-conference-vc-lesson/

Share what your first VC was like and what you have learnt since.

BOB DYLAN
Re: Discussion Question One: Your first VC
by Mike Ferguson - Friday, 4 May 2012, 10:42 AM

My first VC felt good, not to scary at all.  That was most probably because we had met each other at the orientation day. I imagine it would feel a bit akward had we not met previously.   The students were very quiet and need prompting to ask questions etc, I think they felt  nervous about asking questions in the VC setting( you cant just quietly put your hand up for assistance).

Picture of Nicola Lewis
by Nicola Lewis - Saturday, 5 May 2012, 3:02 PM

A little awkward to begin with but the students looked genuinely interested and excited as they had had some communication with me before the VC so was nice to put names to faces. It was difficult to judge the timing of things how long it was going to take to deliver something of for them to deliver. Not being a wall flower I was definitely more nervous than I thought I was going to be.

Picture of Conrad O'Connor
by Conrad O'Connor - Monday, 14 May 2012, 9:17 AM

I do think that the meet and greet day is crucial for forming those first impressions and starting to form a relationship. I have participated in e-learning at University and we had tutors who tried to be too forward without forming that relationship first and it made it uncomfortable and we thought they were losers.

I started my vc's by trying to cram a weeks teaching into an hour, needless to say that doesn't work. Now if I have a content-heavy topic I get the students to learn a section and then team teach via the discussion forum. I make it compulsory to post at least once and to reply with a question at least once also. This works far better as then the vc is left as a time to ask questions and act more as a tutorial than a lecture.

Picture of Deborah Caswell
by Deborah Caswell - Thursday, 10 May 2012, 2:24 PM

My first VC with my students was good for getting the feel for having so many people in different places and getting their wide range of ideas. I felt I was a little unorganised but the students didn’t seem to mind too much.

Mr C
by Peter Cattell - Friday, 11 May 2012, 10:35 AM

Sorry but I can't remember my first lesson - it must have been forgetable. On the other hand i can remember the watching the first recorded lesson I did and how valuable it was to see the sort of things the students are seeing. What was particularly interesting was how not to dominate the lesson too much with the document camera. Keep it flicking back to you the presenter even if it's for a couple of seconds. I also kept waving the remote thingy around which looked really stupid. i hope I've never done that again!!

Mr T
by Justin Thompson - Monday, 14 May 2012, 5:50 PM

My First VC as a teacher was good, the fact I have seen the gear used and used it myself was of benefit. Conrad's ideas were great about using it as a tutorial time and this seems to work well. Issues of trying to get the students to do the work is becoming interesting but the students who attended the orientation have blossomed in the VC environment and doing some very good work.

I hope I am doing ok the proof will be in the end results as always, but the group I have seem very productive and keen which is good.

Picture of Andrea McErlane
by Andrea McErlane - Wednesday, 16 May 2012, 12:53 PM

I made sure that one of the first things I said to my VC students in my first conference lesson was that I'm just as new at this as them, and that there will be a period of trail and error. I believe this helped the students understand that our class was more of a collaboration than a lecture, and that I was going to be learning alongside them, also to be patient when I tried to switch to the document camera!! I do remember seeing myself in the t.v. waving my arms around like a madman and realising the delay, making the concientious effort not to do so from there on out (not an easy task!) 

Picture of Maryann Darmody
by Maryann Darmody - Tuesday, 22 May 2012, 7:40 PM

I think the orientation day was great as most of us had met before the first VC, and that broke the ice a bit. It also gave us all a feel for how VC worked and what it was like getting the camera following the different speakers... one thing that took a while to get used to was the delay and sometimes hearing my voice after I had finished speaking!!