Discussion forum

Discussion Question Six: How to ensure understanding

me
Discussion Question Six: How to ensure understanding
by Darren Sudlow - Tuesday, 22 May 2012, 2:14 PM

The survey results are almost finished and the biggest challenge to learning at a distance highlighted by students is understanding what to do.  What strategies do you use to ensure students understand the work that is set?

Picture of Frank Moran
Re: Discussion Question Six: How to ensure understanding
by Frank Moran - Tuesday, 22 May 2012, 7:28 AM

Developing very structured activities on the Ultranet is useful. I also have used exemplars model answers which is very useful to illustrate the depth of answers. Backing up written text with YouTube videos is also helpful for understanding - this lends itself to the subject content of Tourism.

Anne
by anne williams - Tuesday, 22 May 2012, 9:57 AM

Have eTeachers thought of doing screen casts or pod casts to tell students what to do? I find that students really like the model answers that many teachers provide.

Google docs is also really useful because students can share their draft work with their teachers and get feedback as they work.

me
by Darren Sudlow - Tuesday, 5 June 2012, 1:18 PM

Interesting that this thread only has a couple of posts.  Maybe there is some repitition.

Anyway, course design is important for ensuring clarity and Anne's suggestion of using screencasts / videos is a good one.  Rather than just relying on text instruction, reinforce it with a quick video as well.

As I mentioned in another thread a forum is a very useful way on centralising help.  Encourage students to post problems in the forum, rather than email you.  It has a number of advantages:

• You won't answer the same questions multiple times
  • Other students will see the question and answer which will often help clarify their own thinking
  • It provides a clear log or record of problems / questions
  • It encourages students to help each other rather than always relying on the teacher - making your workload more manageable
  • It is yet another way of encouraging student interaction
All you have to is insist on its use, which means that when a student emails you a question, you direct them to the forum and explain that you or someone else will answer it there.