Discussion forum

eHui

me
eHui
by Darren Sudlow - Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 11:05 AM

Hi all,

As you all know every year we get all the eTeachers together for two days face to face PD.  In the past this has been reasonably loose and focused on teachers spending time developing their course and learning new tools.  As I have indicated a few times, this year I have something slightly different in mind.

Call it what you will; we might just call it an eHui, but this year we want eTeachers AND eDeans to meet for two days reflection and planning for 2013.  The aim of the eHui is to work together to develop strategies to improve the programme in 2013 and beyond.  By looking at the programme as a whole you will also be looking at your own practice (whether eTeacher or eDean).  There will still be an opportunity to spend time on your course, but there will be a lot more focus to the two days.  It is important we start to look at taking this to the next level in 2013 and the eHui needs to set this up.  It is not often we can get everyone face to face so we will to make the most of it.

I have thoughts on what this might look like, but it is important we do it together (and with your schools)

Venue and dates ?  This is where I need immediate feedback.  I will give it until Friday this week and then I will make an executive decision (as you know we will never please everyone).

I am currently thinking of Thursday the 6th and Friday the 7th of December.  This will enable us to use the Lincoln Events Centre, Lincoln, Canterbury (view here) as our venue.  This is fantastic conference facility that is smack bang in the middle of the cluster.  I would book rooms at Lincoln Motel (view here) for those who needed accommodation.  We can only use those two dates if we use this venue, but is that too late in the year? We can't use the previous week, because the Blended Learning Project teachers are meeting on the West Coast. The week before that would be possible though.

Another possibility is Tekapo Blue Water Resort, but that could be stretching the budget too far and is also a long hike for some.

I would like to hear any other suggestions on venues / dates during the course of this week.  On Friday I will make the final decision based on what I hear back.

Please reply directly to this post in the discussion forum on the CantaNet staffroom so we have an open discussion that is visible to everyone.

Cheers

Picture of allan Easte
Re: eHui
by allan Easte - Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 8:04 AM

Dates and venue OK with me. Although Tekapo sounds good.

Allan

Picture of Paul Threadgill
by Paul Threadgill - Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 10:04 AM

I have no problems with these dates either. Lincoln sounds good. Maybe able to travel both days depending on what Donna & Garry are doing.

me
by Darren Sudlow - Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 11:06 AM

I have fixed the "view here" links in the original post.  I have already had two people email to say that one of those dates hits their prize giving so keen to know if there are any others in that boat.  

Picture of Marina Krijgsman
by Marina Krijgsman - Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 11:29 AM

The dates and venue are good for me. If you go the week earlier I am unavailable on the Friday 30th Novemeber as my brother is getting married.

Water lillies until I get a picture of myself!
by Rhonda Knight - Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 12:58 PM

I cant make make the proposed 6th and 7th - already have a camp booked in and unable to alter child care etc. Sorry.

Anne
by anne williams - Wednesday, 17 October 2012, 8:11 AM

Hi Darren

I couldn't come Dec 6- we have a planned activity day and I imagine that will be the same for other Ash coll teachers. What about earlier that week or the beginning of the next week- just suggestions. Thanks

me
by Darren Sudlow - Thursday, 18 October 2012, 11:34 AM

The 3rd and 4th were always my preferred dates Anne, but I can't get that venue then.  In saying that we are not tied to the venue and there are plenty of other options.  The number of prize givings on at over the 6th and 7th is a problem so I am definitely considering looking at earlier in that week.

Can teachers email me directly if there is a school event on that would prevent their attendance on 3rd and 4th?  The second day would be optional for eDeans.  Don't email if you can make it, I just want to hear from those who can't.

As I said we will never please everyone, but I would like to avoid hitting major school events like prize giving.

Cheers

Picture of Maryann Darmody
by Maryann Darmody - Wednesday, 17 October 2012, 8:55 AM

Dates and venue fine with me, if the next week 11th and 13th I couldn't make.

Tekapo is great location smile but I'm happy with either. Thanks

Picture of Penny Mossman
by Penny Mossman - Wednesday, 17 October 2012, 10:23 AM

Would the edeans really need to be there 2 days? It is a busy time of year coming into prize giving. Following week out for me. Lincoln sounds good.

me
by Darren Sudlow - Wednesday, 17 October 2012, 11:51 AM

No I was thinking eDeans could come for the first day where we will have more of a reflective focus, but didn't need to be there for the second where teachers are spending more time looking at tools.

At the moment the timing is looking dicey because of prize-givings, but I will give it a day to see who else might have an issue.

By the way, if you don't contribute to the discussion or email me I will assume that the timing is fine and we will see you there.

Mr C
by Peter Cattell - Wednesday, 17 October 2012, 10:27 AM

I'm Ok with the proposed dates and fairly flexible about earlier time or different venue.

Picture of Nicola Lewis
by Nicola Lewis - Wednesday, 17 October 2012, 10:39 AM

We do have activity day at ashcoll but I am not mega commited to anything, so could probably still do it. Lincoln is a good venue for me as if I need to I can come home. I am pretty flexible on dates, the other half ows me child care.

Picture of Mary McKay
by Mary McKay - Wednesday, 17 October 2012, 2:58 PM

Venue and dates seem OK to me (as far as I know at this stage.)  As an edean (and not a teacher) I would prefer it was only one day for edeans.  It is a very busy time of year.