Discussion forum

Professional Learning

Picture of Damer Farrell
Re: Professional Learning
by Damer Farrell - Friday, 12 April 2013, 10:35 PM

For me personally as I am a newbie there will be some basics that I have to do just to comply with subject delivery  -- 
Teacher must be comfortable with the equipment and
know it back to front what to look for  how to set it up --
who to get hold of when it falls over. 
There must be clear guidelines

PD about classroom management   student / deans contact -- the general stuff that at school, because we see them every day we have greater control and less failure  ?? 
I think you called it       systematic programme of professional learning

How do we reward the better students -- at our Hui  we suggested a reward via the dean but ?? 
the reverse --  a kick in the pants for them that are loafing and  for the genuine student in the middle how to offer encouragement.

Parent involvement ??  I skyped a student --Katie -- and I also asked for a quick chat to mom at the same time --  the result is that Katie has both her mom and myself assisting

Maybee the report back to parents could be a special conf time.
Is there a way to involve parents as well as the student -- make them the meat in the sammie so to speak

without being a dictator you could set a standard or goal based about the bulls eye     the centre will be what must be done , then what should be done  and then what could be done then what may be done.

When it comes time for assessment we will be able to show what targets we have met.

I have to say that I am not a great supporter  of " teaching as an inquiry" its a little wishy washy for me but  untill I have explored it??

any pd about how children learn would help. I know Stacy has a qizz that gives interesting results.

But you are right  any Pd that enhances learning has to be good. We must not lose sight of who the customer is and if possible cater to their needs.