Educo User Group and Management Forum

usernames - some thoughts

usernames - some thoughts

by Trevor Storr -
Number of replies: 5
Hi everyone,

we are now big enough ( 2250 accounts) for usernames to be a problem. Glen and I have thought a fair bit about this, plus the way accounts are managed. I'd be interested in your feedback.

1. The VLN/MOe will maintain a database of users. When a pupil starts at a school, to get a username, the school queries the database. If the user exists, the current username is returned, if it does not (the pupil is new to the system) then a username is generated (format is for e.g. tstorr, tstorr1, tstorr2, tstorr3 etc) - format can be changed.

The generated username is the pupils logon at school and on educo/mahara. The username won't change if the pupil moves between school. We can also provide an email address.

2. What this means is the usernames are not decided by schools. Pupils will be able to keep the same portfolio as they move through the school system.

3. Passwords for users will be kept in a separate database. Teachers at a particular school will be able to add, delete and maintain passwords for pupils at that school.

4. It also looks like moodle 2 will support openid - this means that students could use any openid provider - eg google/facebook etc with which to authenticate their account.

5. Single signon between the school ict systems and educo/mahara is a bit more complex and probably needs a whole lot more work - however a single username password will help.

So I'd like feedback on your thoughts on a common username policy across all our cluster schools.

cheers

trevor

In reply to Trevor Storr

Re: usernames - some thoughts

by Mister Maude -
I don't get how the generated username will be the student's log on at school. Does that mean I can ask if MattTheMarvelous is available and if it is, I can use this logon on my school PC? I'm not sure our IT manager would be too happy!!
In reply to Mister Maude

by Admin User -
There wouldn't be the opportunity for people to pick a username, the username would be generated based on a combination of initials and full name. It would become your local network login if your IT administrator pulled the usernames off the username database instead of generating them locally as they do now.
Glen
In reply to Admin User

by Peter Potter -

Our present system works so that we can group users based on year. So every username for yr 9 this year starts 10 taken from (2010) then we use initials and birthdays to make up the username. So yr 9 trevor storr with a birthday of 20 july would be 10sttr20. Users are grouped in AD and we can delete yr 13 at the end of the year. 

I'm worried that if you generate the username they wont be grouped and we'll have to change them all. We have had nor problems to date and all of our staff/students use the same log on for the network,internet and educo.

In reply to Peter Potter

by Admin User -
Hi Peter

You could achieve the same thing using AD/LDAP groups. Users can be put into a group when they are created - so all year 9 students created in 2010 would be in the "Class of 2010" group, or something similar - the format of the username doesn't matter then.

Glen
In reply to Peter Potter

by Mister Maude -

That works fine within schools, but I guess if the ultimate aim is for students to keep a username no matter where they move schools having the year they start at school becomes confusing. We start at Yr 7 so all our yr7 start with 10. So you can tell a yr 7 student's username from a yr 11 student's. But if students keep usernames and then move schools and you include primary schools into this, a user could have a whole range of years attached to their name which would not correspond with when they started in the school. But maybe its not that big a deal?